Summer Tomato Tart scented with basil
The perfect tart to serve in the summer months, when tomatoes are at their best.
|125g||Puff pastry, all butter (*1)|
|50g||Onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped|
|3 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|½ tsp||Fresh thyme leaves|
|15 - 20||Cherry tomatoes, sliced in half (*2)|
|2 tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|6||Baby mozzarella balls, sliced|
|8||Black olives, stoned and cut into thirds|
|8||Fresh basil leaves, sliced|
|Sea salt and freshly ground pepper|
- Lightly flour the work surface. Cut the puff pastry in half, and shape into balls, then roll down to rounds of about 18cm – 20cm diameter and 2mm thick(*3).
- Place these rounds on a lightly-floured tray and freeze for 5 minutes(*4).
- Remove the rounds and place on to a peel lined with greaseproof paper. Cut down to discs of 16 cm diameter.
- With the tip of a knife, make a small indent about 1cm thick around the edge of the pastry to create a border(*5) (see diagram below) and reserve in the fridge.
Preparing the tarts
- Preheat the oven to 230ºC. Soften the onion in the olive oil with the thyme leaves for about 8 minutes with no colour, seasoning with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary, then cool and reserve.
- Take the puff pastry rounds on the greaseproof paper out of the fridge. Spread with the onion mixture in the centre of the puff pastry rounds and top with the tomato halves, tightly packed together. Ensure that the tomatoes and onion mixture are arranged within the border of the puff pastry, otherwise the sides will not rise up to encase the tomatoes and their juices.
- Brush the tomatoes and the edges of the puff pastry with olive oil and season with sea salt & freshly ground black pepper. Carefully slide the puff pastry on the greaseproof paper onto the pre-heated baking stone or hot tray in the preheated oven and cook for 12 minutes(*6).
- When cooked, remove the tarts from the oven and distribute the sliced mozzarella and olives over the tomatoes, return to the oven for a further two minutes to melt the mozzarella, remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
Garnish the tarts with sliced basil and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil before serving.