Brasserie Blanc - Pancakes
Raymond Blanc with Clive Fretwell, Brasserie Blanc Executive Chef Director make their favourite pancakes!
|For the pancakes|
|3||Large free-range eggs|
|1||Un-waxed lemon finely grated zest|
|1||Un-waxed orange finely grated zest|
|90g||Strong white flour|
|For the sauce|
|1||Thin strips of zest from un-waxed lemon|
|1||Thin strips of zest from half an un-waxed orange|
|1 tbsp||Cointreau or Grand Marnier|
|1||Orange, cut into segments|
Making the pancakes
1. In a bowl mix the milk, eggs, sugar, salt and zests together.
2. Using a stand mixer or a handheld electric beater, gradually whisk the egg mixture into the flour.
3. Whisk until smooth.
4. Heat the butter, being careful not to brown it, then add hot butter into the batter.
5. Leave in fridge to rest for 1 hour.
6. Pre-heat your crepe pan to medium high heat and brush with oil.
7. Add about a quarter of a cup of pancake mixture to the pan and swirl around until it thinly coats the pan.
8. Cook until golden on both sides.
For the sauce
1. Blanche the zest in 2 litres of boiling water for two minutes, drain and refresh with cold water, then drain again and set aside.
2. Mix the 30ml of water and sugar together in a saucepan.
3. Heat over a medium heat until a light caramel, then add the butter.
4. Add the orange juice and bring to a simmer. Skim off any froth.
5. Mix the arrowroot to a smooth paste with a little water and add.
6. Return to the boil.
7. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
8. Add the alcohol and zest.
Fold the pancakes into quarters, place on a plate, and two per person. Place several orange segments on each plate and pour over slightly warmed sauce.
Recipe © Raymond Blanc 2015.
Recipe courtesy of Brasserie Blanc.