Poached Winter Fruits with Red Wine Jus
A recipe to demonstrate the technique of poaching. The exchange of flavours produces delicately spiced fruits and an aromatic juice which is delicious served hot or cold.
|For the red wine jus:|
|1 bottle||Red wine, Cabernet Sauvignon|
|1||Vanilla pod cut in half|
|2 drops||Vanilla extract|
|2 slices||Lemon, skin on|
|2 slices||Orange, skin on|
|For the fruits:|
|1||Quince, peeled & cut into 4 segments, cored|
|4||Ripe pears (Comice or Williams, preferably), peeled & quartered|
|1||Baby pineapple peeled & cut into 4 segments|
|1||Granny Smith apple peeled & cut into 4 segments, cored|
- Bring the red wine to the boil for approximately 1 minute(*1).
- Add the water and all the other ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Poach the quince for approximately 10 minutes (barely simmering)(*2).
- Add the pears, pineapple and apple segments, cover with greaseproof paper and poach for a further 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, add the prunes and refrigerate.
Arrange all the fruits, spices, red wine and cooking juices in a large dish and serve cold or warm.